People First

by Sarita Seshagiri

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Bangalore confused about Jesus's apparel?


Ever saw the idols of Mary and infant Jesus here in Bangalore? Ever wondered why they are dressed so differently from the chapels and churches of Europe and the US? Why is it that the Mary here is draped in a saree and infant Jesus is dressed in a pinafore, whilst their European counterparts are dressed in gowns and capes? Well, the obvious answer is 'culture' and cultural differences.

Now, I can understand Mary being accepted by Indian Christians if she is saree-clad (because the image of a 'mother' to most Indians is a saree-clad, sweet lady). Perhaps they cannot accept the image of a lady in a gown as 'holy mother', since it's not localized enough. What I don't understand is baby Jesus in a frock! I mean come on he is a guy and NOT a girl, right? Why dress him up in a frock, for crying out loud?

Is it localization too? I wonder. Is localization for India, dressing up boys in girls' clothes? Am not quite sure what message is being disseminated with this....Cross dressing? If so, I must say that the Indian orthodox Christians have become truly liberal and eclectic in their views. May be the Hindus can take a page or two from their book.

However, the gender identity issue still confuses me. If Jesus had been a female, would the infant have been dressed in a pair of trousers and shirt or kurta-pyjama? Hmm... I think I shall sit and ponder on this one over the weekend...

4 Comments:

Blogger vavasthi said...

It is very common (at least in northern part of India) to dress small kids in unisex tops called jhabla(झबला). So I think this dress may be adaptation of that itself. But there could be more significant reasons that I do not know about.

12:15 AM  
Blogger vavasthi said...

I think it is very common in India (or atleast in the northern parts of India) to dress up new-born babies in unisex tops called jhabla(झबला). This may be just an adaptation of that dress.

12:16 AM  
Blogger ara said...

well, so allowing the mind to wander... those bishops' cassocks all look like maxis :)

and well, in the part the Jesus came from -- the thobe looks like a long a-line dress...

the scotts wear tartan kilts... skirts by any other name...

and dont we wear pants? :)

5:28 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Oh my goodness! Is this my old friend Sarita Seshagiri, from Vancouver BC?

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home